Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Problem with Pink and the Blue blues

As I began to scan my brain for new ideas for National Novel Writing Month; I can help but notice that I have this one habit: I count my characters to make sure that the genders are equal. I want to make sure that for every well-developed character I have that is male; than there is a well-developed female character to balance it out.
 I think this habit is a leftover from my childhood, where I first encourage the plague among feminists (including myself): The Smurfette Principle.
What is the Smurfette Principle you may ask? Well, think about the Smurfs for a few mintues. All the guys running around with just one female (my sister said that the Creators added another female Smurf  later, but two females does not make a population make). What makes it sad is that this isn't the only show that suffers from this "disease."
Besides an extremely uneven popluation, symptoms of The Smurfette Principle (or TSP for short) include:
  • The annoyence of Feminists everywhere (including yours truly)
  • The female character is more likely to be a distressed damsel or fake action girl, or worse, the chick.
  • Pink is a common color to show the character in question is female (unless said character is a evil ) This trend has died out over the years though.
  • The female character is not the main character or important to the plot (beside being the love-interest or only female member).
  • For the gender-flipped version of this trope see the one guy.

So, now that you know most of the basic symptoms, can you think of any books , tv shows (besides the Smurfs), or movies that use TSP or it's male counterpart? Leave your answers in the comment section, I would love to hear from you. :)

For more information on TSP, check out this video  (I have to warn you that the video is more P-13).

2 comments:

  1. Happy NaNo Day Five! Hopefully the initial excitement is still going strong, but if not I've come with a toolbox of inspiration. Ready?

    First, quote of the day: Don't give up what you want most for what you want right now.

    Second, NaNo Tip of the Day: Reward yourself. It is often easier to notice our lagging word count numbers than to notice how far we've already come.

    This tip was inspired by today's GalleyCat NaNo tip of the day here- http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/nanowrimo-tip-5-reward-yourself_b41666

    Good luck!!! Just keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog....taking a look around.

    NEW FOLLOWER

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete